What is Metabolic Typing?
Metabolic Typing is part of all my Health and Fertility Coaching Programs. If you are not looking for coaching, but simply would like to know your Metabolic Type as a means to assess whether or not a certain diet (i.e. vegetarian or low carb) is good for you, you can also book just the analysis, with one personal consultation (more info here).
I work according to the original Metabolic Typing method as developed by William Wolcott and the Healthexcel Institute. Healthexcel is the established leader and registered trademark holder of Metabolic Typing.
What is Metabolic Typing?
- Metabolic Typing is based on the idea of biochemical individuality: Just as we have different fingerprints, we also have different "Metabolic Types" that developed over the millions & millions of years of evolution in function of geography, climate and food availabilities.
- Different Metabolic Types require different FUELS (macro- and micronutrients) and fuel MIXES (quantities of those nutrients). E.g. an Eskimo has different nutritional requirements than a person inhabiting tropical regions.
- Cultural mixing makes it impossible to guess what our genetic requirements are. People with similar characteristics, behaviors or symptoms can yet be completely different Metabolic types. Neither do our food preferences automatically lead us the way, because they are often “learned” and influenced by what we “believe” to be good for us. They can also be the confusing result of years of “bad” eating habits.
- The same food (e.g. orange or red meat) can have different effects in different Metabolic Types. It can be our medicine or our poison. This explains why there are so many contradictory nutritional recommendations, why different studies show different results, why certain diets make some people lose weight, while others gain even more.
- The famous food pyramid is NOT optimal for most Metabolic Types.
How does it work?
- The Metabolic Typing Analysis is based on an online, computer-based questionnaire of 140 questions. It is a holistic approach evaluating physical traits, diet related traits and psychological traits, since all of these influence your nutritional needs. It is an excellent tool to observe yourself and understand connections between what you eat and how you feel/behave (= your compass). The inherent challenge of subjectivity in any questionnaire is accounted for by using a sufficient number of questions, weighting factors and pattern-detection-mechanisms.
Want to know more about Metabolic Typing, how and why it works? Look at the following video.
For information on the different options and corresponding prices, please click here.
Any information we provide, any recommendations we make or any test or measurement we run should not be used to, nor are they intended to, nor do they in fact diagnose, treat, cure or mitigate any specific health problem. Anyone with any health complaint should seek the care and consultation of an appropriate licensed health practitioner. Our purposes are educational and informational only and we assume no responsibility for the correct or incorrect use of our information. Metabolance makes use of the official Healthexcel's Metabolic Typing concepts. Please note that those concepts and any accompanying individualized ecological lifestyle recommendations that may be made are based on Healthexcel's own theories drawn from the ideas of past researchers in the field and on their empirical and objective observations made from working with thousands of individuals over the past > 30 years. These theories have not been scientifically proven. Certain persons considered experts may disagree with one or more of the concepts or recommendations.