For a free 3-part audio series on how to break free from food prison, click here.
Transform your Relationship with Food and Body
When we hear the term “disordered eating”, we usually think of those struggling with anorexia, bulimia and extreme obesity. Yet anyone who eats has a unique relationship with their body and food driven by their beliefs, mindset, emotions, cultural conditioning, and past experiences. Everybody is affected in their eating by what’s going on in the realms of family, relationships, work/school, sexuality, money, spirituality… Body hate and obsessions with food and excessive exercise are epidemic, and those issues are not gender or age specific. Even though it’s traditionally more considered as a girls’ or women’s problem, poor body image is also affecting boys and men big time. Unresolved issues with food and body among parents will affect their children, too.
Some statistics from the National Eating Disorder Association (US):
- 81% of 10 year-old girls experience a fear of being fat and 51% actually feel better about themselves when they are on a diet
- 95% of individuals who suffer from an eating disorder are aged 12 to 26
- Anorexia is the third most common illness among teenagers.
- Among female college athletes, 25.5% had subclinical eating disorder symptoms.
- 62.3% of teenage girls and 28.8% of teenage boys report trying to lose weight.
- Almost 8 in 10 girls (79%) and even more women (85%) admit to opting out of important events in their lives when they don’t feel they look their best.
Disordered eating is a sign of low self-esteem and positively correlated with substance abuse and teenage pregnancy. It also negatively affects long-term health and fertility. Early warning signs are usually overlooked, dismissed as being normal and/or get covered up with medication. They only become apparent when things are already quite advanced. Hence the importance of prevention – the earlier we start, the better and easier.
While nutrient deficiency and malnourishment can contribute to physical imbalances that favor mental disorders, food issues are only partially about what or how we eat. If we ignore deeper issues, such as what is going on in our lives and emotions, we will only scratch the surface and not achieve lasting transformation and happiness.
Mind Body Nutrition & Dynamic Eating Psychology (as taught by the Institute for the Psychology of Eating) can help to transform eating concerns through a deeper understanding of what they are here to teach us. It looks at all the physical, mental, emotional or even spiritual factors that could affect our eating behavior and metabolism. It explores eating challenges from a place of self-acceptance, curiosity and relaxation, applying positive, uplifting, life affirming strategies.
How do I know if I (or my kid) have (has) a problem?
- Are you obsessed with food, healthy/clean eating and/or your weight?
- Are you tired of constantly thinking about food, calories, nutrients and/or the effect of the food on your health and the planet?
- Is your obsession with food actually starting to negatively impact your health, well-being or quality of life?
- Are you ready to break free from food prison and to reclaim your personal & metabolic power?
- Do you live to eat, rather than eat to live?
Stop draining your energy and start having the relationship with food and body you truly long for: a relationship that is responsible and sustainable, yet also nourishing and pleasurable!
Imagine if you could:
- Simply enjoy your food
- Eat without guilt, regret, stress, anxiety or fear, incl. fatty foods and daily treats
- Actually eat more food and exercise less
- Enjoy real connection with people over food
- Regain your energy, period, libido, good mood, digestive strength…
- Have more time & energy for people or projects close to your heart
- Accept or even love your body
- Trust your body’s ability to self-regulate appetite and weight and to detox and heal itself
- Relax into Life
Your mind is your instrument. Learn to be its master, not its slave!
I have done it – you can do it, too!
What does she know, you might think? Well, apart from being a Certified Eating Psychology Coach , I qualify in a very special way as your guide on this journey, because I’ve been in your shoes for many, many years:
As a teenager, I became obsessed with my weight, calories and fat. Progressively, this obsession about food quantity and its effect on my weight turned into an obsession about food quality and its effect on my health. For a very long time, I basically lived to eat, exercise, work and/or study, pushing myself beyond the limits of my body.
- I know the enormous stress caused by constantly thinking about food.
- I know the anxiety about whether your belly forms a roll under your shirt.
- I know that eating out or traveling can feel like a true nightmare.
- I know the feeling of despair when something unforeseen happens and you need to change your “perfect” food plan.
- I know how it feels to feel “different”, like an outsider, and as if nobody really gets you.
- I also know the discomfort and shame caused by constant digestive distress – just like I know the paradox of secretly longing for more intimate relationships and at the same time being afraid of them.
I have been where you are and completely get you!
The good news is, I got myself out of this food prison – and you can get out, too – if that’s what you really, really want!
Please note that I am not qualified to work with full-blown, life-threatening eating disorders. Please seek professional medical and/or psychological assistance in such cases.
Don’t get me wrong: I still care about food and am very serious about eating and promoting food that’s good for me, the farmers, the animals and the planet. However, I do so from a place of love, respect and consciousness, as opposed to fear, control and self-destruction.
How did I do it?
People are always amazed when they hear that I got myself out of food prison all by myself.
I am not going to lie to you, it’s not been an easy path, but one that unfolded slowly and took me over a decade to walk. None of it was rocket science, in fact, it’s been all about baby-steps: small, simple changes in my daily routines – yet changes that made all the difference. In the process, I have not only reclaimed my personal power, but also learned to truly love and trust myself and Life.
I want that for you, too!
Looking back on my own journey has allowed me to identify the major milestones that made a profound and lasting impact on my life and whole being. I’ve put those together to offer you a step-by-step approach for reclaiming personal & metabolic power and breaking free from food prison. I share part of it with you for FREE in this 3 part audio series.
Everybody deserves a relationship with food & body that is truly nourishing!
And I am here to help you get there.
Working with me will help you to slowly break free from the daily stress around food & body, so that you can enjoy a relationship with food that is not only responsible and sustainable, but also:
- Full of Pleasure & Nourishment
- Spontaneity & Fun
- Freedom & Love
- Relaxation & Trust
Why me? Why now?
You might be thinking, I can read some books, listen to a few podcasts, take some workshops… You might even think you can do this all on your own, like I have done. Of course you might. However, trying to figure it all out on your own will prolong your suffering unnecessarily and cost you a lot of time – at best.
I’ve got a way for you that’s much more likely to help you get where you want to go faster! It’s more fun, too.
Especially when it comes to our health, time is not always an endless resource. I’ve not had my period for 5 years and for a few more years I was menstruating without ovulating. It took me many years to restore my fertility and overall health and I am lucky I managed to do so on time. I am not saying that to scare you, but because I care for you, and don’t want you to have to pay an unbearably high price in the future, because you are too proud to ask for help now or think you cannot afford it.
Whether you are:
- Counting calories and constantly thinking about food
- Weighing yourself daily and letting the scale determine your mood
- Afraid of unhealthy or non-organic food and worried about your health
- Avoiding whole food categories and following a restrictive diet
Make food your friend, not your enemy!
- Eating in a carefree way – just like when you were a child
- Choosing whatever food you feel drawn to – without checking the menu beforehand (when you eat out), saving up calories all day or having to exercise it off afterwards
- Being excited about diving deeply into the local food culture, when traveling
- Getting true pleasure, joy & nourishment from food
- Being healthy and radiant, happy and confident
- Trusting your body self-regulating itself perfectly
- Feeling more connection and having more meaningful relationships
- Using your time & energy for your true purpose in this world
- Being able to trust, feeling save and protected
- Maintain Status Quo: You can remain in food prison for the rest of your life, being a slave to your scale, calculator and/or list of ingredients. Yes, you will feel miserable and frustrated, but comfortable. Suffering from unpleasant secondary effects on your quality of life is a price you are willing to pay for your supposed safety. Since you read up to here, I suppose this is NOT you, because you are READY to break free from food prison, aren’t you?
- Learn the hard way:You can try to work yourself out of food prison all by yourself, just like I did. Read lots of self-help, personal growth and nutrition books, get yourself educated in nutrition, holistic healing methods and psychology, spend lots of money on different therapy approaches, maybe leave your job, your relationship or move to another country. Definitely prepare for some painful guidance from your body as well, like I got from my knees breaking down from excessive exercise, or from being infertile for many years. Keep spinning for many years to come, investing a lot of money, all while being stuck in your head and not living the life you deeply yearn to live.
- Learn from my experience:Learn the exact methods I have used to get myself out of food prison and to regain my personal & metabolic power. Get my dedicated support on each step of the path. Say goodbye to wasting precious life energy & time on your food obsession. Create a relationship with food that is not only responsible and sustainable, but also truly nourishing, pleasurable and relaxed – and supports you in whatever mission you are here for on this planet.*
Stop postponing your dreams to the future. Life is now and you deserve to live it to the max!
Break free from food prison and prevent major damage NOW!
Proposition for individuals
I have created a program to help women and girls find peace with food and body.
- Eating inspired by the Moon to find Peace with Food and Body: for teenage girls, their mothers (on demand also for fathers) and women in general.
This program consist of weekly coaching sessions and is available in an individual setting. On demand it can also be organized for small, private groups or even big groups (i.e. in schools or sport clubs, see below). The duration of the program is 6 months. This extended time-frame allows for the time and space necessary to do the deep work required for optimal results.
About 20% of the sessions are dedicated to nutrition and “what and how to eat”, the rest is about what’s going on behind the scenes of your challenges with food, body and/or fertility. As a Certified Holistic Nutrition and Eating Psychology Coach I will facilitate and guide those sessions and propose specific readings or exercises to help you truly incorporate each topic.
Please contact me per e-mail for the detailed program, schedule and price info.
Of course you can also work with me session by session. I can also become your (or your kid’s) Personal Body Image Companion (kind of like a personal trainer…)! Please click here to learn more about how to work with me in this case.
Intrigued, but still in doubt whether this is the right thing for you? For a free 3-part audio series on how to break free from food prison, click here.
Proposition for schools, sports clubs, organisations dealing with children or just interested groups of parents
- Info-evening – Awareness presentation for parents and older pupils: Negative Body Image and a Complicated Relationship with Food: An Epidemic that Starts Early
This 2 hour presentation covers the following topics:
- Differentiation clinical eating disorders and subclinical disordered eating patterns
- Relevant statistics regarding disordered eating especially among teenagers.
- Signs and risk factors of disordered eating to watch out for
- Possible causes and contributing factors
- Potential long-term consequences for health and well-being
- What to do
- When to ask for help
- Info Sessions for teenagers
This 1 hour dialogue aims to create awareness among teenagers for the problematic, allows them to identify if they have a problem, and gives them first ideas what they can do to help them develop a healthier body image and relationship with food.
- One-time event for teenagers
Interactive events could be organized around the following topics:
- Increasing awareness for own negative self-talk and being more gentle with self
- How to select food and create a truly nourishing and delicious meal
- How to get out of our heads and reconnect with our bodies
- Weekly course for parents and/or teenagers
“Eating inspired by the Moon” weekly guided coaching program: A weekly course to help teenagers and/or their parents to find peace with food and body. The duration of the program is 6 months, which allows for the time and space necessary to do the deep work required for optimal results. The program can be organized in a group setting (2h per session) or on an individual basis (1h per session). About 20% of the sessions is dedicated to nutrition education, the remainder is about what’s going on behind the scenes of the challenges with food and body. As a Certified Holistic Nutrition and Eating Psychology Coach I facilitate and guide those sessions and propose specific readings or exercises to help truly incorporate each topic.
The sooner we end our unnecessary struggles around food, body and weight, the sooner we can live the life we’re meant to live, and the sooner we can have all our energies available to make this world a better place.
Contact me for more details and to talk about your specific needs.
For a free 3-part audio series on how to break free from food prison, click here.